Friday, May 11, 2012

Time To Get Up (An American Dawn)

 If you were to listen in on any conversation going on in America today, odds are that if you listened long enough you'd hear someone mention how hard times are for Americans. Turn on your television, I guarantee you will see scrolling letters and talking heads bombarding you with negativity and statistics.


 At four-thirty this morning, I awoke well-rested from my six-hour slumber to absolute silence in a dimly moonlit bedroom. It was moments like this, I thought, thank God the cable is shut off. 


 Now, that being said, I want to share something with you that I did see on television (Youtube, actually) that affected me in a positive and quite possibly inspirational manner.




 I don't care how you may feel about Dodge trucks, that is a good commercial.


Fact is, we are hurting. In an age of convenience, we have been inconvenienced. People are out of work. Homes are foreclosing, and the prices of gas, ammo and food rise and fall on the fluttering breeze of whimsical speculation. Things just plain suck.
However, there is no sense in just lying in bed feeling sorry for yourself. 


Time to get up.


As I type this, the warm orange glow of a new American dawn seeps through the window and over my shoulder. The sun rises today, with endless possibility and opportunities in store. Yes, I have bills to pay. Yes, I have taken pay cuts. Yes, I am out of work for the time being. My cupboards aren't full, nor is my gas tank or my wallet. 
However, at this moment, none of that matters.


 Where there is work to be done, there is satisfaction in a job well done. There is notice taken by others when one exhibits good work ethic. I have never been above any job in my life. As it stands, I want to be a Police Officer. Until that happens, I don't mind working on campus, going to school or selling and repairing firearms. I love these things. Not because they are particularly my favorite things to do; no, I find the greatest satisfaction in doing things right, the way I would want it if I were the one standing on the other side of the counter.


I'm not where I imagined I would be. I'm not where I truly want to be. But I have food in my stomach, my bills are paid and I can truly say that I work hard to earn every cent and praise.


Sometimes I feel we get so wrapped up in ourselves that we forget that the greatest satisfaction in the world can be found through hard work and helping others. We get so caught up in Facebook and Television, wrapping ourselves into this ideal little world full of mirrors that more or less reflect on aspects of ourselves. The greatest things in the world are bigger than ourselves and until we recognize that, we are doomed to self pity and a narcissistic shell of a lifestyle we have brought upon ourselves.


I come home filthy every night, yet my conscience is clean.


Good Morning, America. Time To Get Up. 





3 comments:

  1. You are an amazing man! And I am certain you will be amazing at whatever you chose to do! Thanks for the thoughts this morning. And yes America, wake up!

    ReplyDelete